Monday, February 4, 2013

kale wants to be your friend

My friend Lindsey gave me a recipe for a kale salad. I'd never really had kale and since I knew it was healthy I assumed it didn't taste great. Let this recipe change your mind on that. Super easy and super delicious.
(it's from the magazine Whole Living, recipe by this fella)

Kale Salad
Serves 8
"A signature dish at True Food Kitchen, this raw kale salad wins over even the most skeptical hearty-green newbies. It gets better after a night in the fridge."
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup lemon juice
3 cloves garlic, mashed
1/2 tsp coarse salt
Pinch red pepper flakes
2 bunches Tuscan kale (about 14 oz.), ribs removed and leaved sliced into 1/4 inch shreds
1/2 cup finely grated Grana Padano or Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus shavings for garnish
2 Tbsp whole wheat bread-crumbs, toasted

1. In a large bowl, whisk together oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and pepper flakes. Add kale and toss to coat. Let sit at room temperature for 10 to 30 minutes.
2. Add grated cheese and breadcrumbs and toss.
3. Garnish with shaved cheese before serving. Cover and refrigerate leftovers up to two days.

Per serving: 262 cals; 22 g fat (6 g sat fat); 21 mg chol; 8 g carb; 495 mg sodium; 11 g protein; 1 g fiber - all nutritional information is approximate.

Some of my own notes - first time I made it, I just had regular olive oil. Totally works.
I also only had regular salt - also works, but I recommend getting the coarse salt - does taste better! I haven't actually found "Tuscan" kale - I just use whatever I can find at the grocery store. And I buy whatever parmigian the store has - freshly grated (with all the varying sized flakes) is tastiest!

I hope you and kale will become fast friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hey! thanks for your comment! (and for keeping it friendly)